So, let's face it, diets are scams. There is no simple way of becomming skinny fast that doesn't pose serious health risk to your body or create a situation where you will gain back the weight and more the moment you stop the diet. I could lose a few pounds and if I decide to lose those pounds I want to do it in a way that is healthy and will last. Of course I have made attempts, or at least talked about making an attempt at this before, but I really want to do this. Why? Because I know if I don't stop the problem it will most likely get worse. Of course I wouldn't say I am on the slippery slope to morbid obesity, I have lost 20 pounds in the last three months working at QuikTrip, and most of my weight gain can be attributed to my first year of marriage, but I wanted to lose weight before I gained this weight. I am not only interested in losing weight either, I want to be healthy in all aspects of my life; marriage, friendships, intellect, etc. I don't know where this series is going or where it is going to stop, but hopefully I will have worked through some of these ideas on how to live a healthier life.

Pt 1 : Exercise

So we start with a no brainer. I know what you are thinking, "Exercise, duh." But, it has never been that easy for me. I like to exercise, but working my schedule around exercise has been the problem. There are few things that make me happier than a good game of tennis (although I suck), but finding someone to play with consistently has been a problem since high school let out and I am now at the point were a need practice to even be able to play a good game. I also like to walk and jog, but I can always find something to do that I like more than walking or jogging, like blogging, watching the T.V., or hanging out with friends. I guess my problem is not exercising, but getting the motivation to exercise.

Motivation seems to be a problem for me. I often have ideas that I get excited about and then lose all motivation. I have worked out on two of the last three days, but keeping that going after one week, two weeks, etc. will be the real test. There is not much room for discussion here, we all agree that exercise is important and will lead to a heathier life. I need to find a way to motivate myself and set aside time so that I will exercise.

Exercise will lead to a heathier life.

Bonus Discussion Question:

Do you think that it is our responsibility to be healthy? And who are we responsible to?

| 6 comments

6 Responses to “

  1. # Blogger Jessica T

    okay, your probaly think this is dumb, but when I walking around the neighborhood last week I was thinking to myself, "what generation before us actually took time to exercise?" ... i guess generation is a bad word, because really I was thinking of people 100+ years ago and how I don't think they ever "exercised".

    Which actually leads me to a whole other topic ... So, in an effort to stay I course I will just answer your bonus questions:

    1. Yes, I think it is our responsibility to make good decisions when it comes to chooing things that will have negative or positive effects on our health. I don't know that it's a "sin" to not live a healthy lifestyle, but maybe it is. Since, being un healthy effects not only you as an individual but it also has negative impacts to those around you.

    I don't think you can lead a healthy lifestyle until you can let go of the things you think you need to be happy. I think if I could realize chocolate brownies DONT actually make me happier when i'm sad and that exercising to be skinny won't make me happier, then I could be healthy for the right reasons, which would probaly make it easier. If I did that wouldn't have the motivation problem like you mentioned in your blog.  

  2. # Blogger Zac

    of course I agree that we all need to excercise. I really got onto the kick about 2 months ago...I tried to drink more water and I even went out and bought a bike. But the water tasted like water, and it was to hot in Oklahoma to ride a bike. Now I just look at the bike and get upset with myself for being lazy. Motivation is what we all lack.

    I do think that it is our responsibility to take care of ourselves...to some degree. We should do what we can to get some exercise and eat right. But I really do think that some people can go over board.

    As far as responsible to who...I would have to say ourselves and to our spouse and children. We owe it to them to live as long as possible and to set an example to our children if you have them.  

  3. # Blogger Brad

    I think Tank is responsible for exercising for me! Tank...I'm counting on you. The whole world is watching.

    bs  

  4. # Blogger Unknown

    Tank. close this window...shut down your computer and GIVE ME 20!

    You need a treadmill. reason one: you can walk on it with your laptop set up on the handle bars (may be tricky to actually rig this effectively), then you can both blog and exercise at the SAME TIME! woop! Reason two: you can make a sweet "OkGo" video solo style.

    keep on sweatin'....  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    i'm fat, but i use the blubber to distract from my hairy chest. but i do feel bad for my wife. i guess she would have to be my motivation. i should probably not eat these cookies beside me at 12:17 am.  

  6. # Blogger Unknown

    eat the cookies.....just eat them  

Post a Comment